Thursday, November 30, 2006

Operation Phone Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Posted By:
PRODUCER - SHARON SMITH KINDRON
Hosted By:USO WHQ
e-mail
When:Thursday Nov 30, 2006at 7:00 PM
Where: O.P.H. c/o USO World Headquarters

P.O. Box 96860Washington, DC 20090US View Map

USO TALENT SHOWS! THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN USO, ALONG WITH STUDIO 1430 KEZW, PROUDLY PRESENT THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN USO TALENT SHOWS AT THE BUG THEATRE COMPANY - STARTING JANUARY 10, 2007! BUGTHEATRE.ORG
RSVP not required


Greetings:


Most of you already know that I spend a great deal of my time volunteering for the Rocky Mountain USO. I spend one day a week (Wednesdays) at the USO Center at Denver International Airport, and the rest of the time during the week either at the USO Center or working from home on the USO Shows at the Bug theatre Company. Today a little fellow (around the age of six or seven), came up to me while I was sitting at the USO Center's front desk and told me he found a Bible and wanted to return it. I knew it was the camouflage sort of New Testament that the Gideon's International hand out (they are Dedicated to Bible distribution), just after someone swears into the military. This pocket sized version must have fallen out of someone's pocket and was squished inside the cushion of the seat and this little boy found it. I looked over at his mother sitting nearby and asked if he would like to have it, while looking for his mother's approval. His mother nodded, "yes, but this little boy said he needed to go ask his mother. I waited, knowing she already agreed it was perfectly fine. She told him "yes" and he returned eagerly, letting me know his mother said it was alright. I looked at the front to see if it had a name written in it and it didn't. I asked this little boy if he wanted his name placed in the front. He nodded, yes." I asked him if he knew how to write yet and he sadly said "no." I asked him if he wanted me to write his name in there for him. He said, "yes." I don't recall his last name, but I will never forget his first name. His name is Donovan. Then I asked Donavan what he was going to do with his very own Bible? Donovan looked me straight in the eye and said, "I'm going to send it to my daddy who is in Iraq, so he can pray." Well, I just about burst into tears when I heard this. I then asked my new little friend if he wanted me to write a message in the back of the Bible, to his daddy, just from him. He grew excited again and stated, "Oh, yes." He went on and on about how he loves and misses his daddy and how he falls asleep each night praying for his daddy to come home alive. By this time someone was waiting for me to sign them in. As a routine, I stated, "Welcome, I need to see your military I.D. Please." This person was not in the mood to be troubled. He sort of bit my head off and stated, "Do you see me reaching for it?" That kind of a remark pissed me off for a millisecond (We allow retirees into the Rocky Mountain USO as a courtesy, they certainly don't need to be snotty when we are doing as we are told by asking to see their credentials that allow them access to a special place where other USO's don't usually allow them entrance in the first place). I made this man wait until I was done helping my friend Donavon. Not out of spite for his rudeness, but out of the courtesy I was giving Donavon. You see, the retiree didn't want to be bothered. All Donovan wanted was something to send to his daddy, to help ease his daddy's burden, and to also ease Donovan's burden by sending something so special from him to his father. They both would know what a wonderful treasure that little book of pages would be to both of them (and it certainly was to me). This was one of those moments I would not forget. I've had other incidents that almost make me cry as well. Someone sharing with me that the reason they saw a chaplain visiting the USO one day, was so the Chaplain could deliver a message to someone that their loved one had been killed. Then there was the visit from the soldier that just returned from Iraq. He hadn't had a shower in days. You could smell him coming. I still took the time to be close enough to him to ask him if there was anything he wanted or needed. Then I noticed that he had his social security number written on the inside and outside of his desert boots, written with a Sharpee. Why you may ask (I certainly asked). So if he gets blown up by an Improvised Explosive Device (I.E.D.), his loved one's would have had something for the government to ship home to his loved one's to bury. These are the things you don't see reported in the news, that's why I am sharing them here. How has seeing these things effected me? Every year about this time I send out holiday cards to all my friends and relatives that exchange cards with me each year. This year I decided I needed to think of how I could send a message to those I love and care about, but to also help our troops. What could I do differently this year to make a difference and take the money I would have spent on the cards, photos, and postage, and put it to a great cause, while still getting a message across to those I care about to do the same thing? I thought and thought. Then it came to me. Why not give to others in a way that benefits those that need a greeting the most. Let's see. How much would I or could I contribute to a USO cause, that I would have spent anyway? I would have spent the following:


Holiday Cards (100 Cards x .50 = $50.00) $ 50.00Postage (100 Stamps x .37 = $37.00) $37.00Photo Holiday Card Inserts (Set of 100 x .33 = $ $33.00) $ 33.00Holiday Stationery (100 pages x .05 = $5.00) $5.00 Total: $125.00

This year I realize there is an URGENT need for phone cards to be sent to our troops overseas. During this holiday season, please consider helping deployed service members call home by donating what you would have spent in holiday greeting cards to: USO, Operation Phone Home.


Our service members have sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and friends who are with them in spirit and silently supporting them from the other side of the world. But it would mean so much to our service members to be able to hear their voices. Far from home and lonely, they are defending our flag and our freedom. The USO is working hard to bring home as close to them as possible. Please join us in USO Operation Phone Home, a campaign created to make it possible for Americans to extend this touch of home to the men and women of our armed forces. And we will continue this effort until every one comes home.


If you still find the need to communicate with those you exchange cards with each year, why not put together something electronically, say, in the form of a PDF or MS Word File. Cut and paste the images you like, the wording you like, and email it to those you would have sent a card to (and probably keep in touch with via email anyway). I know I will be doing this shortly (don't be offended if you don't get something in the mail, this is what I will be doing from now on and I encourage you to do the same). Why not copy and paste this text and save it as an attached PDF file to your own personal greetings and let others know about this program?


Come on, "USO Operation Phone Home" is waiting for you.


HOW TO DONATE TO "OPERATION PHONE HOME"
Donate online:
http://uso.org/whatwedo/specialprograms/usooperationphonehome and choose the "donate to a specific program" option.

Via phone: 1-800-901-1501
By Mail:(with O.P.H. written in the memo of your check or money order)USO World Headquarters P.O. Box 96860Washington, DC 20090-6860

ATTENTION CORPORATIONS
If you are a corporation interested in making a large donation toward this campaign, logo branding on the phone cards is possible. For more information, please contact the Operation Phone Home Representative (
lfischetti@uso.org).


Sharon F. Smith Kindron

U.S. Army (Ret.)

Producer/Special Events Coordinator

Rocky Mountain USO Denver International Airport

8700 Peña Blvd.,P.O. Box 492093

Denver, CO 80249-9093

SKindron@RMUSO.org

MySpace.com/MWRShowsRMUSO.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something to say?