Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Share Your Poetry With Us

http://www.dcoe.health.mil/blog/article.aspx?id=1&postid=109

submission email Victoria.Shapiro.ctr@tma.osd.mil

Posted by Brigadier General Loree K. Sutton, DCoE Director on June 14, 2010
BG Sutton

DCoE Director Brig. Gen. Loree K. Sutton.

The DCoE Blog Team wants your poetry! Please scroll down to the end of the post to see the criteria for poem submissions. All poems should be e-mailed to Victoria.Shapiro.ctr@tma.osd.mil, in the body of the e-mail, not as an attachment.

The tradition of Warrior poetry is thousands of years old. For as long as wars have been fought, Soldiers have expressed their feelings and experiences with poems and creative writing – a powerful outlet to help heal the invisible wounds of war and foster an unprecedented level of understanding.

Today marks the United States Army's 235th Birthday, and it is also Flag Day. As the Nation commemorates both, and we're thinking of our Warriors, Veterans and their loved ones, I encourage you to share your writings with us.

It doesn't matter if you are a Service member, a loved one or a caring citizen; we want to read and share the poems you've written that express your thoughts and experiences – hardships and joys.

Below you'll find the Battle Haikus I wrote, and I look forward to reading yours.

Full of life's promise
Proud to don this uniform
Here I am, send me

Our blood and treasure
Daughters and sons, brave and strong
Do we deserve them?

I'm fighting for you
Sisters and brothers in arms
Brave hearts in harm's way

War followed me back
Sleepless nights, desperate days
Pain wracks my spent soul

One trip to the mall
Is enough to convince me
I am lost at home

Doc says treatment works
An act of courage and strength
Please don't break my heart

Suck it up, Sarge says
Wish that it were so simple
Teach me a new way

Why did this happen?
My body and soul scream foul
Betrayal sinks deep

Respect yields true strength
Diversity is the glue
From the many, one

Show me a real man
Who got treatment and still leads
I need to believe

Babe what you done now
Let's try that new normal thing
Don't throw us away

You say you won't go
Waging battles out of reach
Then do it for me

Who remembers us
Rusty magnets, fraying flags
Used and forgotten

Why am I still here
Guilt preys on lost innocence
Tracking my heart's path

To murder or kill
Just tell me the difference
My soul aches to know

Just back from the ledge
Broken dreams and slaughtered hope
To try life once more

Tie my boots again
Keep hope on the horizon
Never surrender

Daddy, where are you?
I love you all the way to
Heaven, home and me

Mama, I need you
Hairbows, cookies and huge hugs
Are waiting for us

God, who am I now?
Where in my hell have you gone
My soul begs for grace

Keep the faith, brave hearts
War bonded us forever
All together now

Say now . . . 8-6-6
9-6-6 – 1-0-2-0
We are not alone

All together now~
Loree K. Sutton, MD
Brigadier General, MC, USA
Director
US Flag

Photo credit: U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Liesl Marelli, Colorado Army National Guard.

Criteria for Poem Submissions:
*Poems in compliance with the criteria for poem submissions will be published on The DCoE Blog

   * Poems should be one page or less and sent in the body of the e-mail. No attachments will be accepted
   * Submissions must comply with our comment policy regulations
   * Please include how you wish to be attributed as the author
   * You are welcome to include some background information on you, or the poem. The DCoE Blog Team retains the right to edit the information as necessary for publication on the blog.
   * Please send all submissions to Victoria.Shapiro.ctr@tma.osd.mil and include your contact information (best e-mail address and phone number), so we can reach you with any questions. The contact information you provide will be kept confidential.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something to say?